Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Blame Begins With Self

I just read Erin Aubry Kaplan's column "Blacks blaming blacks" in todays LA Times and felt compelled to get these thoughts down before bedtime. The jist of his column is that he is tired of high profile Black Americans, specifically Juan Williams of NPR and FOX Sunday, laying the blame for Black social and cultural problems at the feet of Black America and its leadership.

He claims that Williams, as well as Bill Cosby, perpetuate the idea that Black America failed in its responsibility to uphold the aspirations of the Civil Rights movement of the 60's after the Brown vs Board of Education decision. This decision was supposed to lead to desegration and integration of public schools, which actually led to "white flight' to the suburbs and left a bunch of poor and uneducated black people in charge of the infrastructure left behind.

Now I too am black, raised in Compton, Ca during the 70's and I guess that is where Kaplan's and my own experiences differ. I for one am pleased to hear Cosby talking the way he is. Although I don't particularly care for the political views of Juan Williams, I am in agreement with his views on the Black leadership in America.

All to often I see Jesse ambulance chasing, Al Sharpton acting the clown, and Kwaesi Mfume taking pictures.
This is what is wrong with our leadership, they are so busy grandstanding and dividing, yes dividing Black America it is no wonder that progress in the Black community is at a crawl. They don't have a positive message, only one where they sit in their limosines and blame "whitey." They remind me of the Revereng palyed by Richard Pryor in the movie "Car Wash."

This lack of leadership has led to broad ignorance in Black America. With the destruction of the 2-parent family unit in the Black community all throughout the 70s, a void in paternal guidance only perpuated the gangs and drugs. Reliance on government for a handout led to economic entrapment and encouraged out of wedlock babies. This was not forced on the Blacks, this was a result of deals cut with the so-called Black leadership who wanted a commensurate 40 acres and a mule.

Blah, blah, blah................Bottom line......You can sit on your ass or you can kick ass. For me and mine, failure is not an option and I refuse to let the color of my skin dictate how successful I become. Even if there is racism against me I will perservere. Most people of all colors respect hard work, integrity and honesty, I know this from personal experience, but I want to vomit everytime I hear a Black man tell me that he can't get a job because he is black. Bullshit! My own brother had a job offer for 16.00 per hour and turned it down because he would lose 500. a month in public assistance and he didn't think that he could pass the pee test. Incredible! No this isn't just an isolated case, I know of dozens more, so I know that it has to be a larger problem nationally.

So don't begrudge Williams and Cosby, they are actually stimulating a necessary conversation in America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Find me on MySpace and be my friend!